Friday Feast: 6-layer dip
Why 6 Layers? Why not 7?
Well, because that's the way I made it. If you want a layer 7, grab some black olives. Mr. Lemmony doesn't care for olives, so that step is a no-go in our household. ;)
Last week, I shared the recipe for chili-lime tortilla chips (baked, so you can eat three times as many!) ;) If you've been holding out for a 6-layer dip recipe for those chips, here it is, in all its splendor. By the way, this would make a great dip to take to those office Christmas parties.
- 1 can of Trader Joe's refried black beans with jalapeños (or regular refried pintos will do)
- 1/3-1/2 cup salsa
- 4 cups of spinach
- 1/4 c. diced onion
- 1/4 c. diced green pepper
- 1/4-1/3 c. sour cream (I used Tofutti brand)
- 4-5 packets of your favorite hot sauce from your favorite Mexican fast food restaurant
- 1 avocado, cubed
- salt & pepper
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- lemon wedge
- LAYER 1: Using a rubber spatula, spread the beans on the bottom of a glass pie dish or small baking dish. Don't use a 9 x 13 here. A square 8 x 8 pan or any shallow glass dish will do.
- LAYER 2: Spread the salsa over the beans.
- LAYER 3: Heat a teaspoon of olive oil (or water) in a nonstick pan and cook the onion and green pepper until softened. Pile in spinach and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss until spinach is wilted. Spread mixture over the salsa.
- LAYER 4: Dollop sour cream over warm spinach and spread out as evenly as possible.
- LAYER 5: The next layer are the hot sauce packets. Tear 'em open an squirt them on as evenly as possible.
- LAYER 6: Mash avocado with a fork, then stir in juice from the lemon wedge, salt, pepper, and a dash of crushed red pepper. Dollop avocado mixture over the hot sauce.
- Enjoy with chips!
Next Friday: Fat-free mayo-like spread. Truly amazing!