Friday Feast: Chili-Lime Tortilla Chips
You've read my official bio, haven't you? In it, I expound on my love for potato chips. If waxing poetic about my favorite snack food in the backs of my books isn't love, then I don't know what is.
"Soon it became apparent she’d only be truly happy doing what she loved. And since “eating potato chips” isn’t a viable career, she opted to become a writer..."
This love expands also to tortilla chips. And fries. And any number of fattening deep fried carbohydrates. Yes, I may eat healthy-ish, but there is a weakness and thy name is OIL. However, since I'm trying to make healthier choices like the adult my calendar claims that I am, I have been experimenting with snacks.
Well, my friends, these were so awesome, I had to tell you about them! I adapted them from a Happy Herbivore cookbook, and let me just say, if you're looking for whole food, low oil cooking, she's got a hundred amazing tricks. And these?
Chili-Lime Tortilla Chips
- 5 tortillas, sliced into triangles (I used Trader Joe's Fire Roasted)
- Coconut oil spray (or other oil spray)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 lime, zested (reserve lime, you will use the juice)
- 2 baking sheets
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice 5 flour tortillas into 6 slices each.
- Place tortilla wedges in a large bowl and spray with oil. Toss the wedges with lime zest, chili powder, salt, and garlic powder using your hands to make sure they are coated.
- Lay on baking sheets, spraying one final time before you bake.
- Bake 5-6 minutes. Flip. Bake 5-6 more minutes. They will be crunchy and golden brown.
- While warm, put back into the bowl and squeeze lime juice over them. Serve immediately.
Next Friday: The 6-layer dip pictured here.
PS--Who's coming to see me tomorrow???